FREE WEBINAR: Weighing In on Added Sugars and Health – How Do They Fit?
It's no secret that a high intake of added sugars is implicated in numerous poor health conditions, including obesity, high blood pressure and other risk factors for heart disease and stroke. However, that doesn't mean that naturally nutrient-rich foods that contain some added sugars should be avoided. In fact, these foods, such as flavored milk, can play an important role in meeting daily nutrition guidelines. During this free webinar hosted by the Southeast Dairy Association, Dr. Rachel Johnson will explore the role of sugars in children's diets.
- Understand the scientific rationale for the American Heart Association's statement on sugars and cardiovascular disease.
- Learn how much added sugars Americans are consuming and the primary food and beverage sources of added sugars in American's diets.
- Review new research demonstrating the link between sugar sweetened beverages and overweight and obese children.
- Understand the important role nutrient-dense foods that contain some added sugars play in children's diets.
- Understand the consequences of removing flavored milk in schools on children's nutrient intakes.
- Review new research on children's acceptance of lower calorie flavored milk.
When: Wednesday, February 27, 3 - 4 p.m. EST
Presenters: Rachel K. Johnson, PhD, MPH, RD, FAHA
CPE credits: 1
Host: Southeast Dairy Association
GSMA Installs Millard J. Collier, Jr., MD as its new President during the 119th Annual Convention & Scientific Assembly, Hilton Head, SC
Hilton Head, SC/Atlanta, GA: The Georgia State Medical Association, Inc. (GSMA) celebrated the installation of the new Association president, Dr. Millard J. Collier, Jr. (Atlanta). During the 119th Annual Convention & Scientific Assembly, African-American physicians from across the state of Georgia came together for a 3 ½ day CME meeting (June 13-16, 2012).
- Scientific Sessions included: EMR Readiness with hands-on interaction from representatives from GA-HI TREC and DCH, a Diabetes symposium, Surgery symposium, Psychiatry symposium, HIV, Prostate cancer, and Gout updates, along with practice management enhancements.
- Events included: Inaugural Awards dinner/dance; Health policy forum featuring Commissioner David Cook, GA, DCH; Family Luncheon featuring keynote speaker, Valerie Montgomery-Rice, M.D. (Morehouse School of Medicine), and special guest Congressman David Scott (13th District); and a Boat Ride.
Next year’s meeting will be held June 12-15, 2013 at the Omni Hilton Head Oceanfront Resort in Hilton Head, SC.